Monday, November 19, 2012

A New Girl In and My World Out

Hi everyone, it's Reese! Sorry for long time no see, but this post should explain why I left on a mini hiatus. This post is exciting to write, and hopefully just as exciting to read!

Yesterday afternoon, I was working on some last minute Algebra II homework in my bedroom. (Yes, we are home from Ridgeway for Thanksgiving!) As my brain was focused on perfect squares and quadratic equations, I saw something out of the corner of my eye. Quietly pacing in the hallway was my mom. She looked extremely stressed out and worried. This is what I heard:

"Yes, but if Becca is able to come here, we will not be able to afford Ridgeway anymore. It's just too much with six girls."

One thing from these two sentences stuck out at me. There were only five girls in our family, not six. I don't know who Becca is either. I could easily be wrong, but it sounds as if we are getting a new sister whose name is Becca.

Upon realizing this, I immediately went to talk to my mom in her office. I wanted to tell my sisters the news desperately, but I wanted to check my facts first.

"Hey mom... Can I talk to you?" I asked, peeking my head into the door.

"Sure dear. Have a seat." My mom smiled, pointing at one of the large leather chairs in the office.

"Mom..." I began reluctantly. "Who is Becca and why are we leaving Ridgeway?"

"Well my little Reese's," She began, using my nickname. "you are always the first to find out new information. I don't want this information given to your sisters yet. Do you understand?"

"Yes, of course."

"Okay Reese. You know well how I work for an adoption agency." I nodded. "I recently found a girl who appears to have a connection to Emma."

"Emma? So Becca is Emma's sister?"

"Yes, Becca is Emma's fraternal twin sister." My mom said.

I was stunned. Emma never told me that she had a sister!

"What? I didn't know that Emma had- is a twin!"

"Neither did Emma." My mom said slowly. "Becca has been abused and in foster homes her entire life."

"How were they separated?" I asked.

"At birth, I presume, although there is no way to be certain. Emma and Becca were both born in New Orleans, but Emma lived in Washington State and Becca is from New York."

"Does Emma know about this?"

"Yes, she does. Now about Ridgeway..."

"Mom, you don't have to-"

"It's okay Reese. We can not afford to send you six girls to Ridgeway anymore. And even if we had the money, Ridgeway is closing due to limited enrollment in the past year."

"What?" I exclaimed, jumping out of the chair. "Ridgeway is closing?"

"Yes."

Before my mom had time to say anything else, I ran back into my bedroom and shut the door. I loved Ridgeway and I loved all of my friends there. I'll miss the dorm system, the independence, seeing national monuments everyday, and most of all, the staff and my friends.

As an attempt to stop my rambling, I will end this post. According to my mom, Becca will be here in a few weeks.

I'm not sure how to take all of this in. What should I do? While I feel excited about Becca, I am heartbroken about Ridgeway.

Love,
Reese <3

2 comments:

  1. Hmm... Think of leaving Ridgeway as a new adventure! Will you be going to a public or private school now? But I'm sure that Becca will be lovely! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will be going to a public school tomorrow. Becca arrived today and she is actually very sweet!

      Love,
      Reese <3

      Delete