Saturday, May 19, 2012

Fighting for Emma Part 5

Hi everyone, it's Reese! Today we had a four hour meeting beginning at 9:00 a.m. at the orphanage. Basically, us "kids" (me, Nellie, Samantha, Isabella, and Emma) weren't allowed in. We wanted to go back to the hotel, but my mom wouldn't let us. Today, we spent four unsupervised hours with Emma.

At 9:05 this morning, my mom and dad went into a secluded room to speak with the adoption agents, Emma's social worker, and a few employees from the orphanage. Meanwhile, my sisters and I were hanging out with Emma. One thing that you should know is that Emma is really shy. She doesn't talk very much either. I understand though; when I first arrived in December, I was that way too. I hope that Emma will eventually become more comfortable around us. Emma is one of the prettiest girls I know. She has long brown hair, aqua eyes, and a heart-shaped, very thin face.

Emma is very into acting and becoming a pediatrician. She is also an amazing artist. Emma very reluctantly showed us her sacred copy of the novel, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. The pages were worn, so I could tell that she had read the book many, many times. I knew that we would have to get her some more books as well. The only other things that Emma owns are a golden locket and a teddy bear. She seemed very attached to these three things.

I spoke to her about the drama program at our school. In the fall, Emma will definitely be a part of the show. I'm so glad to have another girl who is so interested in the theater. My friends have tried the theater before. Personally, I have never been into the theater, but when I saw our school's spring musical, I definitely want to be in the shows.

Here's what my parents found out in the meeting:
WE WILL BE ADOPTING EMMA! (well, 99% sure) The orphanage is allowing the adoption; however, we will be visited by Emma's social service worker six times in 2012. This is to make sure everything is going smoothly. We all know that my family would never try to hurt anyone, but I suppose they just want to be sure.

The earliest we can adopt Emma is May 22. This is not until Tuesday. Because of this, we have a problem. You see, I live on the east coast of the United States. Washington is on the other side of the country. We could either:
1. Go back home until Tuesday. However, for the adoption to take place, we all need to be present. This would also increase costs in plane tickets and hotel rates. We can't stay in the hotel for so long though. We only brought enough clothing to last for a few days. No one wants to constantly wear the same clothing.

2. Stay in Washington until Tuesday. Like I mentioned above, this would increase our hotel rates and we don't have enough clothing packed. There might be a hold on adopting Emma as well. This means that we may not be able to adopt Emma on Tuesday, and it might take a little longer.

What do you think we should do?

Well, that's about all I can write for tonight. It's getting late, and we are seeing Emma again tomorrow.

Love,
Reese <3

2 comments:

  1. Hi Reese,

    Congrats on your upcoming adoption! How exciting!

    I'm not sure exactly what you should do about where to stay, but it seems like buying a few new outfits to tide you over would be cheaper than crossing the country by plane twice. (You also may want to check if the hotel has laundry facilities.) Which would be more economical depends on how much the hotel rate is per night, though.

    Best of luck!

    Love,
    Bre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bree!

      Thanks so much! We are all really excited too.

      I think that the hotel has laundry facilities, but I'm not positive. We'll check today. I would love to go shopping for some new clothes though

      Thanks Bree!

      Love,
      Reese <3

      Delete