Saturday, July 21, 2012

Summertime and Shows: Part 1

Hi everyone, it's Reese! Welcome to my summer blog series! Do you remember when I told you that I was going to be in my school's summer show? Well, Emma and I are gaining show experience in our first show. Our school Ridgeway is located a good distance from where we live. And because kids from all over the world attend Ridgeway in Washington D.C., Ridgeway is putting on separate shows across the country.

Our show is (insert drum roll here) Beauty and the Beast! Auditions took place in late June ad rehearsal has been everyday since at the local theater. Tech week (The week before a performance with lots of dress rehearsals and testing) begins right when we return from Cape Cod. We have three performances following tech week.

Now I suppose you are wondering about the auditions and roles we received.

When I attended my audition, I was so nervous. I met my Theater teacher on the stage of our local theater. I was the first to audition. I sang A Place in This World by Taylor Swift. At first, I was so nervous. However, by the second verse, I got really into the music and my nervous feelings faded away. Meanwhile, Mr. R. (I'm not allowed to say his full name) wrote in a notebook and nodded. Afterwards, I read some lines. I read the scene in the library as Belle and the scene where Beast turns back into a man. Mr. R. wrote down a few more things and then dismissed me. I was not allowed to watch Emma's audition after mine. However, I could hear Emma sing Untouchable by Taylor Swift and read about five sets of lines as Belle. When her audition was over, we walked the short distance home.

We did not find out our roles until three days later, but Emma and I both got callbacks! This was so surprising and wonderful, since we are only in tenth grade. However, only five juniors and two seniors are in the production. (It's usually more, but the summer show usually has less people due to people traveling.)

The next day at rehearsal, we found our our roles.

The lead of Belle was cast as Emma! I am so happy for my sister. :) Emma repeatedly read lines as Belle and Mr. R. always smiles when Emma reads lines and sings. She has a wonderful voice and is a very talented actress! Most of the juniors and seniors are so happy for Emma because it is so rare for a sophomore to be cast as the lead. Emma has been working so hard as Belle and practicing lines nonstop.

I was cast as Mrs. Potts! I didn't want a super large role, as this is my first show. Coincidentally, Emma and I have a bunch of roles together, which is wonderful! I am so excited for the finale number when I sing Beauty and the Beast. I am so happy with my role! :)

That's all for part one of Summertime and Shows. Part 2 will talk about our beginning rehearsals and getting to know our characters.

Love,
Reese <3

No comments:

Post a Comment